The term “hippotherapy” comes from the Greek word “hippos” meaning horse and translated means “treatment with the help of the horse”. Using the horse as a dynamic base to facilitate non-static postural control Hippotherapy fosters improved trunk mobility and strength which in turn, affects overall limb function. The horse’s natural three-dimensional movement mimics a typical human gait creating a gentle rhythmic movement that aides in improving overall balance, strength, muscle control and tone, motor development and coordination.
Hippotherapy sessions are conducted by a licensed physical, occupational or speech and language therapist who has advanced education, are registered with and certified by the American Hippotherapy Association (AHA) and PATH Intl., certified in as a Registered Level Instructor, as well as have credentials demonstrating their working knowledge of the safe and effective use of the horse’s movement as a therapy strategy integrated with neuromotor function and sensory processing.
NEED TO KNOW FACTS ON HIPPOTHERAPY
- Hippotherapy is 30 minutes once a week
- One on one instruction is lead by a licensed PT, OT or SPL with credentials in Hippotherapy, and Therapeutic Riding.
- Services are offered year round operating on a session-to-session basis (generally four sessions of services a year). Sessions can vary in length from 5 to 14 weeks, depending on the time of year. Classes are held Monday – Saturday with varying times. Participants register to receive services for length of session.
- Cost of session varies depending on length of session. Cost is a flat rate of $35/week plus an additional $55 paid weekly directly to the therapist.
- CTRC does not work with any health care provider for billing. We will, if asked, provide clients with paperwork/receipts when seeking their own reimbursement.
- Check out the FAQ page for answers to common questions about CTRC’s services.
We invite you grab life by the reins and become one of the many riders who prosper at CTRC. So, if you think you, or someone you know, could benefit from hippotherapy follow the Rider In-Take process outlined below to get the process started.
*Please note that while no clinical diagnosis is necessary to participate, it is required that participants have a need for our specialized, therapeutic environment. Additionally, a participant must be at least 2 1/2 years of age to enroll in Hippotherapy. There is no maximum age for participation.
RIDER IN-TAKE PROCESS
The New Participant Packet (Spanish version) contains an Application, Consent & Release Form and Medical History Form (which needs to be thoroughly filled out, signed by an MD, DO, NP or PA and dated to be valid).
This can be done in one of the following ways…
• Fax to 303-532-0164
• Email to Head Instructor
• Mail to CTRC (11968 Mineral Rd, Longmont, CO 80504)
Once CTRC has received your completed application, we will contact you to schedule an evaluation. An evaluation helps us ensure that we can safely accommodate you in our program, recommend the proper class, develop therapeutic goals and create good rider/volunteer/horse teams. Not everyone can be accepted into the program due to safety or physical / medical contraindications.
Upon completion of an evaluation and determination by CTRC that we are able to safely accommodate the participant, the participant is able to register for services. A participant’s individual needs and abilities determine which therapist is best suited to partner with to reach therapeutic goals.